Sep 21, 2011

underneath the sycamore

This post might be about how much I adore Ben Gibbard. So consider yourself fairly warned.

I wish I could state that my music tastes have evolved and changed over the years, and maybe they have... Maybe I now listen to quieter music, softer music, the type which might best be summed up as simply being nicer to my ears.

I will not divert attention from the subject at hand: My utter love for not just his music, but how I am still not tired of it. Let's talk about Death Cab, the Postal Service, or mainly how Ben Gibbard seems only capable of producing the most mellow music. His music, which I have seemingly attached memory after memory too.

The Postal Service reminds me of an evening dinner in Montreal, the meal was mediocre at best... we stayed because they were playing postal service and the wine list was fantastic. The quiet clicking of the song "Sleeping In", holding hands with the cutest boy possible, sharing dessert, the occasional quick peck on the lips, and so much laughter. Every time I hear this song, I am transported back, I am again there in the restaurant, seated next to him, it is joyful.

The album Transatlanticism takes me to slightly after I graduated high school - and again, another boy. One who I shared movies, walks, slurpees, bike rides, crazy car rides, and the best and most satisfying lazy afternoon naps with. All whilst we argued the merits of this album. Which song was best, why, what did we love about it, why it moved us so.

Just look at the artwork which adorned the liner notes for this album, even the normally ugly CD is gorgeous. We connected over music. Specifically over our shared love for this album.


And the song Transatlanticism still wins hands down. "I need you so much closer... So come on, come on..." it literally still haunts me with the simple beauty of its composition.

I'm skipping albums, not because they are irrelevant, but because I'd be here forever.

Narrowstairs was released, and I was hoping I would have outgrown my love for Death Cab. Yet the disc came out, I was depressed, and I recall listening to it for hours on end. Songs with lyrics about feelings about dying alone, I related. I related immensely.

But that is the key, these songs which are sometimes so lyrically simplistic, are always beautifully composed, they are for me - all relatable.

The track "I will follow you into the dark" for example,  this song used to come on the radio and I'd have to pull over, I'd be unable to see the road, as I'd have tears streaming down my face whenever I listened to it. It still happens, this song still moves me to tears whenever I hear it. Why? The guitar is simple, the singing so quiet and yet this song is so deeply filled with emotion that it just stirs me. The idea of loving so much that you follow them into the dark. Is that not love. Do we not relate?

Now, Codes and Keys, the title track to the same named album, carries me in emotion. I listened and literally felt like I was being wrapped tightly in a cocoon by the words and emotion conveyed by Ben Gibbard's voice.

Simply felt.

This is music that carries me.